top of page
  • Writer's picture@PlaneThought41

Wespen Zerstörer: 1/48th Revell Bf 110G-2

Updated: Jun 29

This is the 1999 Revell 1/48th scale model, based on the earlier G-4 kit released in 1994 under the Pro Modeler brand. It can be built up into a nice looking Zerstörer, however it is not without some effort and / or extras. (The same molds were used by Hasegawa in their late 90's Bf 110 releases.) The G-4 and G-2 were later re-released around 2013 by Revell.

Notable Kit Features:

  • Nicely detailed cockpits

  • Multi-piece cockpit glass with hatches that can be positioned open

  • Finely engraved panel lines

  • Resin nose and nose guns

  • Weighted tires

Build Inspiration:

I built my first Bf 110 back in 1992 using the markings of Gruppe II./ZG 76 'Haifisch' (Shark) and had debated at that time using the ZG1 Wespen (Wasp) markings. When I came upon this kit at my local hobby store on sale for only $20, I figured it was a good time to ante in for the second Zerstörer build. The nose markings and squadron yellow engine nacelles / spinners made the look of this aircraft a must have for the model aircraft collection.

Heads-Up Report:

At first glance this 1/48th scale Revell model looked like a nice kit with recessed panel lines and good details, so I bought the G-4 a little while later when I saw it on sale as well. Getting into this build, I discovered a few issues that would cause some concern for some and may be a show stopper for others.

  • Warped and twisted fuselage (in my example)

  • Flash issues on many parts

  • Resin nose provided which will necessitate removal of kit nose portion and dealing with the preparation of resin parts (Cutting off main block and sanding - Remember to always wear protective mask and gloves and hold off any food or drink by the bench at this stage)

  • Nose fit mating between resin and kit requires quite a bit of sanding to smooth out

  • Engine to wing fit is not great (and the engines aren't quite the correct shape)

  • Spinner shape and detail is not correct (I left mine be however CEC48416 Bf 110F/G Correction will address a few of these issues if you can find / afford one*)

  • Noticeable gap on the interior between the radiator covers and the radiators

  • Wingtips fit required quite a bit of sanding and filler

  • No kit provision for underside antenna material (this is a DIY part)

  • Tail shape appears to be "F" model (should have broader chord and larger trim tab)

* Cutting Edge's Bf 110F/G Correction Set addresses the issues of the engine nacelles, the wing "humps" right back to the flaps, the spinners and the propeller blades. Two different styles of oil coolers are supplied as separate parts. The cooling scoops on the upper wing bulge are also provided as separate parts.

Kit Additions / Modifications:

  • Made crew seatbelts from painted masking tape

  • The engine top area could use some additional build-up to better represent the shape of the engines (I did not bother with this modification)

  • The propeller spinners are undersize for this type (The Bf 110G used the same propeller hubs as the Bf 109G,which is larger than the kit's and has a center hole) - Again I did not bother with this modification

  • Added styrene sheet to fill gap in interior between the radiator covers and the radiators

  • Added wire antennas

End Result:

After cleaning up the flash and assembling the kit, it was time for the paint-shop stage. I painted the white tail band, as I find that usually works better than the decal. The base underside (RLM 76) as well as upper splinter pattern in (RLM 74/75) was established using a standard masking tape process. The paint mottle scheme on the sides was carefully applied using a fine tip airbrush setup, properly thinned paint at low air pressure (you have to experiment to see what ratios work best for your airbrush). The first shot was a bit of a rookie mottle attempt so I decided to fine sand, respray the 76 base and have another go. Second time I was pleased with the results enough to continue. RLM 74/75 were used in the mottle. Minor touch-ups were made with RLM 76 on areas as required. Kit decals were used to complete the markings. The hornet on the nose required decal setting solution, cuts in the film to better allow a curve fit and paint touch-ups to blend.

The After-Build Report:

Despite the problems with this kit I was happy with the way it turned out. True, it is not overly accurate for the specific type and it did require some additional work to improve the look however, if you are looking for a budget build, this kit may meet your needs. The newer Eduard kits are superior however they are not easy builds and the kits are much more expensive. Also in the mix now is the 1/48 Bf-110D and E by Cyber-Hobby/Dragon/Wing Tech, which look very promising as well... so maybe there is another future Bf 110 build to come.

Completed build #225 - September 2019 using the 1/48th scale Revell #85-4164 kit.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions - Keep on building, gain experience, challenge yourself if you like, but try not to stress yourself out over the build - it is suppose to be an enjoyable hobby after all - Cheers

153 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page